Corruption

Chris Hewitt g0pae at manordat.demon.co.uk
Fri Apr 30 19:24:17 UTC 2004

Rick Stevens wrote:

> J.L. Coenders wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> Does anyone know how to check for corrupt files/disks, etc.? I have
>> some issues archiving my Mail directory (see subject: Tar/Zip/Rar
>> trouble) and am wondering if anyone knows how to check this?
>

> There's no way to check for corrupt files because there's no way to
> know what's supposed to be in the file in the first place.  The only

I've not been following this thread so this may have been mentioned
before (if so I apologise). If you are having so much trouble with file
corruption that you are looking for a way to check for it then there is
probably something fundermental wrong. I would suggest running fsck
anyway, but it could be that you disc drive is on the way out. What
filesystem are you using? ext2/ext3 are pretty robust, but ReiserFS is
reported to be more liable to corruption that some others.

HTH
Chris