Where is eth0?

Cédric CACHAT lsf at noos.fr
Mon Aug 2 22:54:40 UTC 2004

Hello,

I'm just getting started with Linux so please excuse me if  the
explanations aren't clear enough.
I have encountered some problems while installing Fedora Core 2 on my
computer. All information concerning eth0 is lost after installation, I
can't have any network connection whatsoever.

Here is a summary of what I've done so far:
- I've put Fedora core 2 with minimal configuration on a computer that
used to be running with windows. This first time, it worked just fine. I
could update the rpms to the latest version available with up2date.
This is where I screwed up:
- I then tried to install ALL the rpms from the CD, starting from
scratch, and as I rebooted the computer, the connection to internet was
lost as if my 3com card wasn't there anymore
- I tried to put back the minimal configuration, even get back down to
Fedora Core 1, but always with the same result.
- I tried to install from a hard drive => didn't work either
So I figured my card was dead. I tried to put windows on a partition and
Fedora on an other. When I boot with windows, there is no problem with
the network connection.
But as soon as I try to start using the fedora partition, well, I let
you guess... nothing!
The % ifconfig is nearly "empty". It just gives the "lo" details. The %
ifup eth0 gives "configuration for eth0 not found". How could I restore
my connection?

Has anybody encountered such problems? Can you tell me what to do?