Where is eth0?

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Aug 5 17:11:19 UTC 2004

Cédric CACHAT wrote:
> Thanks for the hint Rick. I tried it but it didn't work.
> It just poped an unhandled error telling me to report it. Thing is, I
> didn't write it down so I can't do it anymore.

That's really odd.  That's the standard GUI tool used to configure the
network.  I'd really like to know what that error was.

> I had to change my card to a PCI card . Once I had removed kudzu which
> seems to inhibit all connections to the outside
> # chkconfig --del kudzu
> and done a correct
> # ifconfig eth0 ... netmask ...
> with my parameters and a
> # ifup eth0
> well, it all worked fine.
>
> For a reason, this didn't work with my former ISA card. I have no idea why.

It's entirely possible that you had an IRQ conflict between the ISA card
and something else--especially if you had Plug-n-Play enabled in your
BIOS.  That can wreak all kinds of havoc.

> So I now updated my system to Fedora Core 2 and once more removed kudzu
> and ... no problem.

Kudzu should not affect your network connections.  It just searches for
hardware and configures it.  It's possible your machine doesn't react
well to kudzu's probes (some don't), but it shouldn't do anything else.

> Rick Stevens a écrit:
>
>> Cédric CACHAT wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I'm just getting started with Linux so please excuse me if  the
>>> explanations aren't clear enough.
>>> I have encountered some problems while installing Fedora Core 2 on my
>>> computer. All information concerning eth0 is lost after installation,
>>> I can't have any network connection whatsoever.
>>>
>>> Here is a summary of what I've done so far:
>>> - I've put Fedora core 2 with minimal configuration on a computer
>>> that used to be running with windows. This first time, it worked just
>>> fine. I could update the rpms to the latest version available with
>>> up2date.
>>> This is where I screwed up:
>>> - I then tried to install ALL the rpms from the CD, starting from
>>> scratch, and as I rebooted the computer, the connection to internet
>>> was lost as if my 3com card wasn't there anymore
>>> - I tried to put back the minimal configuration, even get back down
>>> to Fedora Core 1, but always with the same result.
>>> - I tried to install from a hard drive => didn't work either
>>> So I figured my card was dead. I tried to put windows on a partition
>>> and Fedora on an other. When I boot with windows, there is no problem
>>> with the network connection.
>>> But as soon as I try to start using the fedora partition, well, I let
>>> you guess... nothing!
>>> The % ifconfig is nearly "empty". It just gives the "lo" details. The
>>> % ifup eth0 gives "configuration for eth0 not found". How could I
>>> restore my connection?
>>>
>>> Has anybody encountered such problems? Can you tell me what to do?
>>

>> When you did the second install, the system probably asked you if you
>> wanted to migrate your network settings.  If you answered "No", then the
>> old config is erased.
>>
>> Log in as the root user.  At the "#" prompt under Fedora Core 1, enter:
>>
>>     redhat-config-network
>>
>> If you're using Fedora Core 2, use:
>>
>>     system-config-network
>>
>> Fill in the forms as you need them.  That should reconfigure your
>> network settings.
>> - Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens at vitalstream.com -
>> - VitalStream, Inc.                       http://www.vitalstream.com -
>> -           Give me ambiguity or give me something else!             -

-    First Law of Work:                                              -
-    If you can't get it done in the first 24 hours, work nights.    -