HP Storage Works DLT VS80 is not detected

Rusdi rusdi at komputeralif.com
Sat Aug 7 03:33:32 UTC 2004

Hi...!

Thanks  for your reply, I did some test and searched  related information,
just to make sure that  I give you  correct information about my system.

On my machine (HP DL 380 G3 ) only installed one integrated  Smart Array 5i.
It is a LVD (Low Voltage Differential) SCSI Array controller. I plug in the
Tape drive
to the VHDCI ( Very High Density connector Interface) on the rear of  the
server ( on-board).
The VHDCI is port 2 of the Smart Array 5i. HP's  support guy said that the
controller
does support single, standalone LVD devices. My tape drive is being seen by
the hardware
but is not being seen by LINUX.

The following is  content of  /etc/modules.conf :
   alias eth0 tg3
   alias eth1 tg3
   alias scsi_hostadapter cciss
   alias usb-controller usb-ohci

'Scsi_hostadapter cciss'  is  the driver for the Smart Array 5i ( cmiiw).
If  I have to load  again the controller driver, what is the driver
name of my  SCSI controller?  On the DLT VS80 documentation it says
that " Red Hat Linux provides native drive recognition. Drive files are
located in /dev directory. Supplemental drivers are not required. The
operating
systems default to a generic   SCSI device and  to the default setting of
the tape drive". And no  driver provided on the  CD for LINUX.

I have checked all  termination and cable.  Everything should be Ok since
the
hardware ( machine) can detect the tape drive on the POST stage.

Thanks a lot,

Rusdi

Do you have a SCSI controller in your machine?  If so, do an "lsmod"
and verify that you have a driver loaded for it.  If not, you'll need
to load it and possibly add an "alias scsi_hostadapter (drivername)" in
your /etc/modules.conf or /etc/modprobe.conf (kernel 2.6.x).

If you do have have a driver loaded, verify that the termination is
correct on the drive and verify what the SCSI ID is on the thing.  We
can help more once we know these things.

-    I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it!      -