Windows 2000 and RedHat 8.0 on HP Pavilion

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 9 02:40:38 UTC 2004

On Sun, Aug 08, 2004 at 06:01:18PM -0700, Melroy Rodrigues wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have installed Windows 2000 and Red Hat Linux 8.0
> but for some reason LILO does not show  up. I had
> selected it when I installed Lunix. I know there is a
> way I can get in as a root and run LILO to fix this
> but I am unaware of how to get in as root or any other
> user as right now when I boot I got directly to
> windows. I do have the installation disks with me and
> had used them earlier to rectify the same problem
> earlier. There is a command I can use at the boot:
> prompt but my mind is failing me now.
>
> Please advise.
>
> Thanks,
> Melroy

Windoze has probably stomped on your LILO boot loader.  Boot with your
RH install disk 1 to "rescue mode" (at the boot prompt, put "linux
rescue".  It will look for your linux installation and mount it on
/mnt/sysimage, if you let it.  Once at the shell prompt, do this:

  chroot /mnt/sysimage
  lilo

That should work without complaints.  Then

  exit
  exit

Yep, twice.  Once to get out of the chroot shell, and once to reboot.
Pop out the CD.  You should get a LILO prompt.

Cheers,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
Grace happens.