Cannot open shared object file errors preventing boot up

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Aug 9 16:11:32 UTC 2004

Graeme Nichols wrote:
> Hello Folks, I don't know if I have been hacked or have simply managed
> to corrupt something but I cannot start any apps. and cannot really boot
> the system.
>
> The errors I am receiving all say 'error while loading shared library
> <some library: cannot open shared object file: no such file or directory"
>
> While trying to boot the first error encountered says: "Starting xfs:
> xfs: error while loading shared library libXfont.so.1: cannot open
> shared object file: no such file or directory."
>
> The when the graphical login screen is trying to load I get the error
> "Id X respawning too fast. Disaabled for 5 minutes"
>
> If I manage to boot into run level 3 then try to run 'startx' I get
> about 6 lines of errors similar to the following: " Xauth: error while
> such file or directory"
>
> I was running mrtg at the time and it failed with the same type of error.
>
> The only other thing I was doing at the time was installing epiphany
> using the package manager, which finished normally but epiphany would
> not run. Said it was starting but it bombed out. Trying to start it from
> a terminal resulted in a similar error to all the above.
>
> Help Please... I'm sending this from Win 98, not good.

Some of your X environment got stomped on.  Boot up in run level 3 or
single user mode, dig up your CDs and run

	rpm -Uvh --force XFree86-devel*.rpm

Hopefully that should fix it unless other bits got munched, too.
-  Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a  -
-                              rigged demo.                          -