Cannot open shared object file errors preventing boot up

Graeme Nichols gnichols at tpg.com.au
Wed Aug 11 04:51:24 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-10 at 16:17, Bob McClure Jr wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 04:04:31PM +1000, Graeme Nichols wrote:
> >

> > Rick Stevens wrote:

> > >Some of your X environment got stomped on.  Boot up in run level 3 or
> > >single user mode, dig up your CDs and run
> > >
> > >    rpm -Uvh --force XFree86-devel*.rpm
> > >
> > >Hopefully that should fix it unless other bits got munched, too.
> >
> > Hi Rick, thanks. re-installed all the xorg-X11* rpms on the 4 FC2 CDs.
> > This had an impact in that 'startx' tries to do things now but
> > eventually bombs out on the 'unix/7100' (or something) font path and
> > then 'cannot load 'fixed' fonts' I've googled around but cannot find any
> > answers yet.
> >
> > Have you any further ideas on what may be happening now and how I can
> > work out just where this font path refers to?
> >
> > --
> >
> > Kind regards,
> > Graeme Nichols.
>
> It'll be another nine hours before Rick comes on-line, so I'll take a
> shot at this.  (Don't ask why I'm up this late.)
>
> Your symptoms indicate your X font server is not running.  As root,
> run
>
>   service xfs status
>
> You should get something like
>
> xfs (pid 1032) is running...
>
> If not, run
>
>   service xfs start
>
> That gets it starting right now.  If that comes up ok, run
>
>   chkconfig --list xfs
>
> You should get something like
>
> xfs             0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
>
> If not, run
>
>   chkconfig xfs on
>
> That makes it come on next time you boot.  If it won't come up and
> stay up, look in /var/log/messages for clues.
>
> Cheers,

Hello Bob, thanks very much for your help.

The X font server was running I think as I saw it start as the machine
booted and it had an OK beside it. I didn't bother to check it any
further as I should have I guess. Its running OK today.

I finally gave up yesterday and called it quits until today, Wed. 11
Aug. 14:00, when I booted up into runlevel 3, logged on as root and
started checking things. First I tried 'startx' and lo and behold, the
blasted thing started OK. So I logged out of X, brought up another
terminal and logged is as myself and ran 'startx' and it worked just
fine again with the exception that Korganizer would not start up
complaining of not being able to load shared libraries.

[graeme at barney graeme]$ korganizer
korganizer: error while loading shared libraries: libqt-mt.so.3: cannot
[graeme at barney graeme]$

This is the same type of error that started all my problems a couple of
days ago. Thing is that all the libraries that were complained of as
missing before were, as this one is, alive and well, not missing at all.
libqt-mt.so.3 is a link to libqt-mt.so.3.3.2 in the same directory,
/usr/lib/qt-3.3/lib/libqt-mt.so.3 -> libqt-mt.so.3.3.2, and '-rwxr-xr-x
1 root root 7355176 May  5 09:34 /usr/lib/qt-3.3/lib/libqt-mt.so.3.3.2'

Is this a path problem or a config problem or simply just a grunged file
somewhere? Its got me flummoxed.

Thank you again for your help.

Kind regards, Graeme Nichols.
The problems of business administration in general, and database
management in particular are much to difficult for people that think in
IBMese, compounded with sloppy english. -- Edsger Dijkstra