Cannot open shared object file errors preventing boot up

Graeme Nichols gnichols at tpg.com.au
Thu Aug 19 04:19:29 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-08-18 at 03:35, Rick Stevens wrote:

> > Hi Rick,
> >

> >>[graeme at barney graeme]$ sudo /sbin/ldconfig -v | grep qt
> >
> > /usr/lib/qt-3.3/lib:
> >         libqt-mt.so.3 -> libqt-mt.so.3.3.2
> >
> > Would it be wise to delete the other versions of qt? or a sure-fire way
> > of screwing things up?
>
> Uh, hmmm.  I'd be a bit reticent about deleting them, although the newer
> ones _should_ be backwards compatible.
>
> You can always reinstall them if it doesn't work, but if your GUI
> depends on the old ones, you'll need to run in text mode until you do
> get them reinstalled.

Thanks Rick, I think I'll leave them. I believe that if one doesn't know
what one is deleting then leave well alone!

Kind regards, Graeme Nichols.
How beautiful are thy feet with shoes, O prince's daughter! the joints
of thy thighs are like jewels, the work of the hands of a cunning
workman. Thy navel is like a round goblet, which wanteth not liquor: thy
belly is like an heap of wheat set about with lillies. Thy two breasts
are like two young roses that are twins. [Song of Solomon 7:1-3 (KJV)]