modprobe

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sat Dec 4 18:35:44 UTC 2004

On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 11:21:33 -0700 (MST), brad.mugleston at comcast.net
<brad.mugleston at comcast.net> wrote:
> I'm trying to install ndiswrapper to get my Motorola wireless
> card working in my notebook.  Following the instructins
> everything seems to be working until I get to the "modprobe
> ndiswrapper" command.
>
> The commands are
>
> ndiswrapper -i
>
> ndiswrapper -l bcmw15.inf
>
>         output is
>                 installed ndis drivers
>                 bcmw15 driver present, hardware present
>
> modprobe ndiswrapper
>
>         output it
>                 FATAL: Module ndiswrapper not found
>
> >From reading there should be a file /etc/modules.conf file but
> that isn't to be found.
>
> Any suggestions?  I just upgraded to FC2
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Brad Mugleston, KI0OT

Brad,
   Hi. Up front I wish you the very best of luck. I have tried 3 times
to get this working. I also have a Broadcom adapter. I have failed in
utter dispair every time.

   As for your immediate problem is there any possiblity that you have
two kernels on your system? If so then is ndiswrapper built for the
kernel you are running right now. I don;t like this, but there are two
(at least) 'ndiswrapper' files in this package:

1) A script that sets things up.

2) A driver that gets loaded.

Too bad they have the same name, right? ;-)

Here's the data from my laptop running Gentoo:

flash mark $ slocate ndiswrapper | grep bin
/usr/sbin/ndiswrapper
/usr/sbin/ndiswrapper-buginfo
/home/mark/storage/data/ndiswrapper/SP23107A/layout.bin
flash mark $ slocate ndiswrapper | grep ko
/lib/modules/2.6.8-gentoo-r2/misc/ndiswrapper.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.9-rc2-mm4-VP-S7/misc/ndiswrapper.ko

modprobe is looking for the .ko file. Do an slocate and see if you
have one that is associated with the kernel you are running.

When you find it (or build it) then you're in for the real fun. ;-) As
I said, I went down in flames 3 times but I'd love to get it working.
I'm here this weekend and I have the same wireless NIC in this laptop
so maybe we can do it together.

Cheers,
Mark
flash mark $