modprobe

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 5 02:03:55 UTC 2004

On Sat, Dec 04, 2004 at 06:11:23PM -0700, brad.mugleston at comcast.net wrote:
> uname -a ===> 2.6.8-1.521 i686 which is how the RPM is labled
>
> slocate ndiswrapper | grep .ko ===> null  -- doesn't look good.
>
> while we are on the topic what is the difference between
>
> updatedb and locate -u
>
> and
>
> slocate and locate
>
> I've always used locate -u and locate

In the old days there was updatedb that built the database, usually
from a script in /etc/cron.daily/, and locate that made use of it.
Then it was discovered that it let you see the existence of files that
you wouldn't normally know about as a mere mortal.

Then came Security-Enhanced Locate, or slocate, which stores
permission and ownership information, so that if you couldn't normally
know about the file/directory/whatever, then slocate isn't going to
tell you about it, either.

In the current distros, both locate and updatedb are symlinked to
slocate.  "slocate -u", "locate -u", and updatedb do exactly the same
thing.  "slocate" and "locate" do precisely the same thing.

"man slocate" and "man updatedb" for more details.

Cheers,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
Grace happens.