modprobe

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sun Dec 5 02:18:56 UTC 2004

On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 18:11:23 -0700 (MST), brad.mugleston at comcast.net
<brad.mugleston at comcast.net> wrote:
> uname -a ===> 2.6.8-1.521 i686 which is how the RPM is labled
>
> slocate ndiswrapper | grep .ko ===> null  -- doesn't look good.

OK, so that's the root cause of your module not found message. It
would seem to me that one of a number of things must have happened:

1) The RPM you installed was for a different kernel. (Doesn't seem to
be the case from the names...) Tale a look at /lib/modules:

ls /lib/modules

and see if there is more than one directory. You should find one that
matches your kernel. You might find another one that would have been
created when an RPM for a different kernel was installed.

2) The RPM installed source code somewhere and it's waiting for you to
build the kernel module. You'd have to look the RPM and see what it
contained and where it put things if this is the case and then build
it.

3) Something else...

I don't know if this is clear, but modules MUST match the kernel
that's running. You can have multiple kernels on the system, but when
you boot one there must be a corresponding /lib/modules directory for
the kernel to find it's modules.

Frustrating I'm sure but I think you're making a bit of headway.

Good luck,
Mark