Fedora Core 3 Belkin Crazy Mouse

Chris Hewitt rhil at manordata.uklinux.net
Mon Dec 6 18:35:19 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-12-05 at 20:29, Info wrote:
> I just installed Fedora Core 3, no problems except that my mouse is
> totally random until I disconnect and reconnect it.  I’m using a
> Belkin Omniview KVM to switch between machines.
>

> A Google search shows several postings about this.  It seems to be a
> known bug going back to Fedora Core 1.
>
> There is a work around
> http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla...glist=123273#c5   Which suggests
> a fix and points to another (duplicate) bug.   One posting had a long
> set of instructions on recompiling the kernel to fix this problem.
>

> Since I installed from RPM  and am some what timid about recompiling
> kernels, I wondered if there was some sort of configuration change
> that would solve this problem.  While there may be, the writers
> assumed that their rather cryptic postings would be understandable.
>

> If someone has solved this problem by editing file
> /xxx/yyy/zzz.something  and rebooted the system, I’d sure like to
> receive the details.

If you put "psmouse.proto=bare" in the kernel line in grub.conf it sorts
it out (assuming a PS2 mouse) but you lose the use of the wheel. Some
people have reported success with "psmouse.proto=imps" but I've had to
use "bare". Funnily enough, I posted the same answer on the Fedora Core
list yesterday.

Hope this helps.

Chris