modprobe

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Dec 8 18:24:58 UTC 2004

brad.mugleston at comcast.net wrote:
> I know I'm suppose to bottom post but I'm kind of starting over.
>
> 1 - cleaned out all ndiswrapper (reversed everything).
> 2 - using UP2DATE upgraded to the newest kernel and source
> 3 - found an RPM that is suppose to fix the 4K limit
> 4 - make my symbolic link to the new kernel as instructed (I've
> been doing reboots to make sure the latest is running)
> 5 - got up to make install and got a warning about being unable
> to do something with variable get_user_size - being a warning I
> took note.
> 6 - got to the mdoprobe ndiswrapper step and got an error about
> get_user_size and there I sit.
>
> SUggestions?  I checked the FAQ and didn't see this I will do
> more of a search when my grandson falls asleep (need more light
> in the room).

My addled brain has lost track of this.  Was this on FC3?  I just built
ndiswrapper 0.11 on my laptop running FC3 (kernel 2.6.9-1.681_FC3) with
no patches (4K stacks) and it built and runs fine with my Broadcom
BCM4306 using Windows XP drivers.

The trick is, of course, getting the kernel source for FC3.  You must
download the kernel source RPM (there is no "kernel-source" RPM yet, you
must get the SRPM from the SRPM repository).  Install the SRPM via:

	cd /download/directory
	rpm -ivh kernel-2.6.9-1.681_FC3.src.rpm

To make this look like one of the older "kernel-source" RPM installs,
you have to patch the sources and create the kernel source tree.  To do
this, go to /usr/src/redhat/SPECS and run:

	rpmbuild --target i686 -bp kernel-2.6.spec

After some crunching and chewing, the source tree is created...but not
in the spot you expect it to be.  You can move it to the classic spot
by:

	cd /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/kernel-2.6.9
	mv linux-2.6.9 /usr/src/linux-2.6.9-1.681_FC3

Ok, now the source tree is in /usr/src.  Make the appropriate symlinks
in /usr/src:

	cd /usr/src
	rm -f linux linux-2.6
	ln -s linux-2.6.9-1.681_FC3 linux
	ln -s linux-2.6.9-1.681_FC3 linux-2.6

Don't forget to edit "/usr/src/linux/Makefile" to change the
"EXTRAVERSION=" definition to match the actual kernel version.  For
uniprocessors:

	EXTRAVERSION = -1.681_FC3

for SMP:

	EXTRAVERSION = -1.681_FC3.smp

(I think that's it for SMP, "uname -r" will tell you for sure).  Once
you've got that done, you can clean up the cruft left by rpmbuild by:

	cd /usr/src/redhat
	rm -rf BUILD/* RPMS/* SOURCES/* SPECS/* SRPMS/*
	cd /usr/src/linux
	make mrproper

Now you've got the FC3 kernel source just like the old "kernel-source"
RPMs used to make (mmmm!  tasty!).  Copy the config file from /boot to
"/usr/src/linux/.config" and do AT LEAST

	cd /usr/src/linux
	make oldconfig

Once that's done, you've got the kernel source tree configured for your
system.  Assuming you're running that kernel (or you've buggered the
ndiswrapper Makefile to point at this kernel source tree), you can build
ndiswrapper.

As I said, I built ndiswrapper V0.11 in just this manner and it works
fine.  Your mileage may vary.  Void where prohibited.  Batteries not
included.  Etc., etc.

> On Mon, 6 Dec 2004, Rick Stevens wrote:
>

>>Mark Knecht wrote:

>>>Not that I know of. I thought it might be a kernel config option but I
>>>can't find it this morning.
>>
>>You must rebuild the kernel to go back to the old 8K stack size.  There
>>is no other way to do it.  ndiswrapper >0.80 works fine with a 4K stack.

>>>Here's one link. Sorry this isn't easier on FC. It's trivial on Gentoo.
>>>
>>>http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Tools.html
>>
>>ndiswrapper is not a difficult thing to build or install.  There are
>>several prerequisites:
>>
>>1.  You MUST have the kernel source installed for the kernel you are
>>planning to have the driver run on.
>>
>>2.  You must be RUNNING that kernel before you build ndiswrapper.  The
>>Makefile for ndiswraper does a "uname -r" to see which kernel to build
>>for (or you can bugger the Makefile to make it use the one you want).
>>
>>3.  You must have the gone through at least the equivalent of "make
>>config" on the kernel source to configure it for your usage.  This
>>can be done by copying the appropriate config file from /boot and
>>to the kernel source directory's ".config" file and executing "make
>>oldconfig".
>>
>>4.  You can then build ndiswrapper.  Don't forget to do "make install".
>>You will find the driver installed as
>>
>>	/lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/misc/ndiswrapper.ko
>>
>>5.  Now it's installed.  You can follow the rest of the instructions in
>>the README/INSTALL files.

-      Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.       -