advise for pcmcia network cards

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Dec 10 00:32:06 UTC 2004

Matthew Galgoci wrote:
>>got a laptop that doesnt have a nic in it, need to purchase a nic, and
>>wondering if there are any that work well with linux and any that dont work
>>well
>

> Most pcmcia nics just work these days. Buy a cheap one and try it, but keep the
> recipt in case you have to exchange it for a different one. I can't personally
> see myself spending more than $30 on a pcmcia nic.

If you're talking about wired NICs, yes, that's true, most work.  If
you're talking wireless, try to get one that's based on the Atmel,
prism, orinoco or wavelan chipsets.  By use of ndiswrapper, most others
will work provided you can grab the Windows XP/2K ".inf" and ".sys" files.
-     If Bill Gates got a dime for every time Windows crashes...     -
-              ...oh, wait.  He does.  THAT explains it!             -