Red Hat more used in EUA

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Dec 10 17:35:22 UTC 2004

Rodrigo Faria Tavares wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I live in Brazil, i would like to know, what is the red hat version used
> in EUA ..
> Her in Brazil, the companies are using the red hat enterprise, is it the
> best ?

Enterprise is Red Hat's commercial release.  It includes some limited
support (you can buy more elaborate support) and has a longer life
cycle.  In fact, it's still a 2.4 kernel.

Fedora is the free version of Red Hat--what used to be called "Red Hat
Linux".  It is much more cutting edge (Fedora Core 2 and 3 use the
2.6 kernel, for example).  It has no support other than the various
mailing lists (such as this one and the fedora-users list) and has a
fairly short life cycle (Fedora Core 2 was out about four months before
Fedora Core 3 came out).  Fedora is used as a proving ground for stuff
that eventually will end up in Red Hat Enterprise.

It's your choice.  Fedora Core is free, but you can't call Red Hat with
any questions.  Enterprise costs money and you can get support from Red Hat.
-  Jimmie crack corn and I don't care...what kind of lousy attitude  -
-                 is THAT to have, huh?   -- Dennis Miller           -