FC2 - Samba setup

Kostas Sfakiotakis kostassf at cha.forthnet.gr
Sat Dec 11 22:38:41 UTC 2004

Rick Stevens wrote:
> Kostas Sfakiotakis wrote:
>
>> Greetings Mark ,
>>
>> Mark Knecht wrote:
>>
>>> Whoopie! I got part of it working. Browsing from my Win XP Pro laptop
>>> to the shares on the FC2 box required running smbpasswd as root and
>>> adding user mark to the smb password file.
>>>

>> :))
>>
>> Well now , in order for things to work the other way arrount , you just
>> have to use the
>>
>> mount -t smbfs -o username=Mark  //Computername/Sharename  /mountpoint.
>>
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>                                                    I still forget if
>> the slashes above are
>> forward or reverse .
>

> Samba will use either, but the forward slashes ("//") are easier to use.
> You have to escape backslashes.  Two backslashes need to be specified as
> "\\\\".  Using backslashes, Kostas' thing would read:
>
> mount -t smbfs -o username=Mark  \\\\Computername\\Sharename
>   /mountpoint

Redhat 7.3 gives me an error , but  i don't recall with what slashes the
forward ones or the backward ones , that's why i wrote those lines
with in my previous posting . I will have to recheck and come back on
that thing .
    Either way the slashes are is that with the use of Samba someone can
access  an NTFS partition without the dangers that the linux kernel modules
present ( writing is still not safe ) .