RHCE doubts

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Dec 13 22:01:14 UTC 2004

tariq samsudeen wrote:
> hi gurus,
> i hv few clarification regarding rhce....im preparing for the exam on
> my own using fedora core 2...im using rhce exam study guide by michael
> jang and red hat linux bible by christopher negus.....
> I want 2 clarifications, please help me.
> 1. redhat manual raid configuration after installation.
> should i use LABEL=/ in fstab r directly use the device name example, dev/md0
> michael jang says we should use LABEL, where as the website
> www.linuxhomenetworking.com says...
> Note: It is very important that you DO NOT use labels in the
> /etc/fstab file for RAID devices, just use the real device name such
> as "/dev/md0". On startup, the /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit script checks the
> /etc/fstab file for device entries that match RAID set names in the
> /etc/raidtab file. It will not automatically start the RAID set driver
> for the RAID set if it doesn't find a match. Device mounting then
> occurs later on in the boot process. Mounting a RAID device that
> doesn't have a loaded driver can corrupt your data giving the error
> below.
>
> with fedora, its wrking whn i use dev/md0.....im not sure abt RHEL......

I'd have to go back and check the RHEL script, but I think the website
is correct.  Personally, I don't like labels at all for the simple fact
that, if you set up a different Linux along side your current one (even
if it's on a new drive), you'll have two "/usr" or whatever partitions.
Which one gets mounted when /etc/fstab says "/usr"?  You have no control
over it.  I'm a control freak, so I try to use device names rather than
labels whenever possible.

> 2. DNS configuration.....
> should i have to copy these files...
> cp -f /etc/named.conf /var/named/chroot/etc
> cp -f /etc/rndc.* /var/named/chroot/etc
> and also the zone file example: example.com.zone
> cp -f /var/named/example.com.zone /var/named/chroot/var/named
> with fedora the above thing is wrking....wht abt RHEL....

If you set up named to run in a chrooted environment (in other words,
you give it the "-t /directory" option), all files needed to make named
work MUST be in that specified directory (by default, this is
"/var/named/chroot/").

Once the daemon starts and gets chrooted, it can't back up past the
specified directory to look at the rest of the filesystem.  As far as
named is concerned, the given directory IS the root of the filesystem
("/").  That's what chroot does..."for this process, change the root of
the filesystem to the given directory".
-           Lottery: A tax on people who are bad at math.            -