ftp script?

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Dec 14 17:47:15 UTC 2004

Harold Hallikainen wrote:
> I'm trying to have ftp send a file to another machine in a shell script
> called by cron. After Googling around, reading various man pages, etc., it
> looks like I've gotten the script to log in properly by setting up stuff
> in .netrc , but I'm still having trouble sending the cd and put commands
> into ftp from the script. Can anyone give me some clues? This is running
> on an RH8 machine.

Have a look at the "ncftpput" and "ncftpget" commands.  They are
FTP client programs specifically written to be used in batch or shell
scripts.  "man ncftpput" and "man ncftpget" for details.
-    First Law of Work:                                              -
-    If you can't get it done in the first 24 hours, work nights.    -