Christmas Wireless - final push today...

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 18:54:40 UTC 2004

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 10:21:46 -0800, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>    I'm back at the (hopefully) final configuration issue left with
> this new Christmas present for my son - getting wireless working. I'm
> close (I think) but not there yet. Hopefully the team can send me in
> the right direction and I'll get this working soon. I have to wrap the
> machine no later than tomorrow at noon.
>
>    Thanks in advance for any attention I can get today.
>
>    I am sending this from a different machine to ensure what I'm doing
> is absolutely only wireless.
>
>    At this point I have done the following:
>
> 1) ndiswrapper-0.12 is installed
>
> 2) I have added 'alias wlan0 ndiswrapper' to /etc/modprobe.conf but
> ndiswrapper is not loaded  at boot time.
>
> 3) modprobe ndiswrapper by hand works. The driver shows up in lsmod
> but is used by nothing. (Number 0)
>
> 4) Using the ndiswrapper installation instructions at
>
> http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/phpwiki/index.php?Installation
>
> I can do the following:
>
> iwconfig    (shows wlan0)
>
> iwlist wlan0 scan  (shows my ESSID:"146clover", Mode managed, etc.)
>
> iwconfig wlan0 key restricted (24-bit XXYYXXYYXXYYXXYY)
>
> ifconfig wlan0 up
>
> At this point I've had no error messages, but if I do ifconfig I do
> not see wlan0 listed.
>
> The install page shows a command 'dhclient wlan0'. When I try this
> command I get a whole string of messages over the period of 1-2
> minutes, ending in No DHCPOFFERS received, and then a message:
>
> /sbin/dhclient-script: configuration for wlan0 not found.
>
> I do not have the above ESSID, key, etc., in any files yet. So
> possibly that is my issue here?
>
> I'm going to blast this off now to see if I get an early response back
> from the list. I'll keep working on this until about 3PM today and
> will start up at 8AM tomorrow if I'm not successful today.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Mark

A few more things:

1) I do run WEP for the Windows boxes.
2) The key is 26 hexadecimal characters, not 24 as above.
3) The network is 'b only'
4) The wireless NIC (DWL-520) is set to
Protocol: 802.11b
Encryption key: on

5) The router (Netgear WGT624) does not show the device as attached.
The router logs show no entries when the FC2 machine does a scan and
finds the network.

What do I need to do to really attach to the network?

Thanks,
Mark