Install Help

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Dec 22 23:39:52 UTC 2004

brad.mugleston at comcast.net wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Dec 2004, Rick Stevens wrote:
>

>>brad.mugleston at comcast.net wrote:
>>
>>>I was going to install FC2 on a home computer and realized that
>>>it doesn't come with the ability to boot from a diskett.  I can't
>>>boot from the CD on this machine.  I tried to do it using an
>>>older boot disk but for some reason the older probram will not
>>>read the CD.
>>
>>Can you boot off of a USB pendrive?  If so, the diskboot.img file can
>>be put on it using dd or rawrite and booted.
>>
>>FC2 (and FC3) can't boot from floppy because the kernel is bigger than
>>a floppy can hold.
>

> Don't know - don't have one 8^)  I saw that option I guess I'll
> have to figure something else out....

Hmmm.  Couldn't you set up a grub entry that pointed at the CD's boot
sector via a "chainloader +1" entry?  I've never tried it, but it should
work, theoretically.  Your BIOS can't do it, but it can call grub and
grub can pretty much do anything.  My guess is that the grub entry would
be something like:

	title CD Boot
	    root (cd1,0)
	    chainloader +1

Like I said, I've never tried this, but it might work.
-   To understand recursion, you must first understand recursion.    -