Tape Drive

karlp at ourldsfamily.com karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Fri Dec 24 06:11:42 UTC 2004

> I'm running RH9 and have a tape drive in my machine.  For the
> life of me I can't remember or find the instructions for using
> mounting or doing anything with a tape drive.

You don't need to mount tape drives as you would other media. You redirect
output to them. A common commandline method of backing up would be to use
dump, tar or a find command piped to cpio.

You can man dump and tar to see that syntax. I've always used something
like this (your mileage may vary):

find . -print |cpio -ovcdumB > /dev/st0

Where '.' represents the current directory.

If you want to use this method of backing up, I can help you with
restores, which are different depending on your backup syntax. You can use
different path syntax, but restoring has to match.

There is a curses-based backup utility which I used on RH6.4 and 7.0, but
can't remember it's name to save my life and searching the /usr/bin
directory of my RH9 system has proven fruitless for the impatient person
on my keyboard...

Have fun, but remember, disk is cheap, so I just NFS mount and do backups
to a large disk just for this purpose on a remote machine (not real
remote; same building, different rooms, same floor).

> HELP!!!

Hope this does..?

> OH, and Merry Christmas.

Same to you, but more of it. (I learned that way back in my primary school
days; it's meant as a compliment).

Karl