New Newbie RH9 Install

PC Tech - JohnH pctech at htc.net
Fri Dec 24 22:41:09 UTC 2004

I just purchased "Red Hat Linux 9 for Dummies" and everything went fine until I tried to setup the network. I followed the book to the letter but nothing happens. I have the following NIC and other hardware as follows:

1 - NIC = Realteck RTL8139C PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
2 - Video = 3DFX VooDoo3
3 - Modem = Agere Systems Pci Soft Modem
4 - Sound = Yamaha DS-XG

Red Hat 9 and KDE/Gnome run fast and I have no problems except for the network and sound.

Unless one would consider not being able to connect to my DSL service a problem too.
But I just thought that would be solved when I solve the network problem.
(with DSL I don't use my "snail" modem)