Launcher (su)

karlp at ourldsfamily.com karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Tue Dec 28 19:26:30 UTC 2004

> How does one set up a new launcher so that it ask's for ROOT's
> password first?  I want to su to root before I run a program and
> can't figure it out.

Hey Brad, listen to Rick for doing it the 'right' way, but consider my
'smoke and mirrors' alternative (which isn't overwritten by upgrades).

I create a file in my account's bin directory. For example, I ocasionally
have use for Midnight Commander, so here's what I have in ~/bin:

mc.sh
1: #!/bin/sh
2: sudo mc
3: exit

Make it executable a that's all for that part. Now for the launcher you do
something like:

xterm -geometry 80x43 -sb -sl 2000 -bg black -fg white -fn 10x20 -e mc.sh

which will give you a fairly large xterm window running mc after prompting
for your password. Of course, ~/bin has to be in the path, else you would
put -e ~/bin/mc.sh, or the full path.

HTH,

Karl