Kickstart Install via HTTP

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Dec 30 19:51:11 UTC 2004

RUSHE John (AXA-TECH-UK) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to set up a kickstart installation using http (network
> install). My apache web server does not listen on the standard port 80,
> but uses a non-privileged port. I have tried to specify the url with
> this alternate port but the installation always says it can't retrieve
> the images from the source tree. The kickstart command I am using is as
> follows:
>
> url --url http://10.190.111.21:45116/Enterprise/30
>
> (port 45116 is an example)
>
> Has anybody managed to perform a network install via http specifying a
> non-standard, unprivileged apache port in this way?

If you're running an external firewall, are you certain the port is
allowed through?  Are you certain that the images are in that specified
directory?  Remember that "/" on the webserver is the DocumentRoot, not
the root of the filesystem.  Use a browser on the http server and find
the first ISO image.  The URL in the menu bar of your browser is what
should be used.

Oh, and John, please see if you can get that vastly stupid disclaimer
removed from your email.  They are incredibly unenforceable and just
suck up bandwidth.  Besides, posting a message to an open mailing list
kinda kills off any pretense to confidentiality, doesn't it?  ;-)
-      A day for firm decisions!!!   Well, then again, maybe not!    -