OT:Apache question

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Feb 20 17:32:04 UTC 2004

Mark Knecht wrote:
> This is very off topic for a RH Install list, so please excuse me.
>
> I'm determined not to become an Apache administrator in my home
> recording studio here, but I do have Apache running. All I want is a
> simple page that shows a list of file names when someone shows up at a
> specific address at my web address.
>
> http://marksmusic.blah.blah
>
> does resolve as a web page. How can I make
>
> http://marksmusic.blah.blah/files
>
> simply show all the files in a specific directory on this machine?
> Everything I try leads to messages about 'You don't have permission to
> access /files/ on this server' type messages.
>
> Most welcome would be some great little simple web page with a few
> instructions.

Why not get into your apache config file and do something like this:

     Alias /files "/directory/where/the/files/are"

     <Directory "/directory/where/the/files/are">
         Options Indexes FollowSymlinks MultiViews
         AllowOverride None
         Order allow,deny
         Allow from all
     </Directory>

Stop and restart Apache after changing the file.  Aiming your browser
at "http://www.your.site/files" will result in an index listing of the
"/directory/where/the/files/are" directory.
-                 All generalizations are false.                     -