What RPMs are going to be supported with RHEL and RH Prof WS???

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Feb 20 21:50:48 UTC 2004

Chris A Czerwinski wrote:
> I see Red Hat's current "Under the Brim" is giving a sales pitch...
>
> Red Hat Professional Workstation: Enterprise Linux gets personal
> Want to run an enterprise-quality operating system but don't actually
> have an enterprise? Red Hat has the answer Red Hat Professional
> Workstation. Based on Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Professional Workstation
> provides a complete suite of tools for the power desktop user at an
> affordable price. Best of all, it's annually renewable and comes with
> one year of Red Hat Network updates and upgrades.
>
> Buy today and get a limited edition Red Hat cap.
>
> Is this still the old version of back then - Date unknown?
>
> When I go to their Web Site and look at the various Red Hat Operating
> Systems I am getting confused or more to the point I am looking for
> specifics.
>
> I cannot find which versions of applications come with which operating
> systems or what it now supports i.e what Red Hat Package Management
> (RPM's) will now come with each Operating System (as in previous
> versions!!) (and if it's detailed it's somewhere obscurely hidden from
> us not to see.)
>
>                        RedHat  | RedHat   RedHat  RedHat  RedHat Fedora
>                        Linux 9 | Prof-WS  EL-WS   EL-ES   EL-AS   Core
>
> XFree86                4.3.0   |   ?.?     ?.?     ?.?     ?.?     ?.?
> BlueCurve                      |   ?.?     ?.?     ?.?     ?.?     ?.?
> GNOME                  2.2.0   |   ?.?     ?.?     ?.?     ?.?     ?.?
> KDE                            |   ?.?     ?.?     ?.?     ?.?     ?.?
> Ximian Evolution       1.2.2-5 |   ?.?     ?.?     ?.?     ?.?     ?.?
> OpenOffice             1.0.2   |   ?.?     ?.?     ?.?     ?.?     ?.?
> Mozilla                1.2.1   |   ?.?     ?.?     ?.?     ?.?     ?.?
> Samba                  2.27    |   ?.?     ?.?     ?.?     ?.?     ?.?
> GCC                    3.2     |   ?.?     ?.?     ?.?     ?.?     ?.?
> Perl                   5.8.0   |   ?.?     ?.?     ?.?     ?.?     ?.?
> Python                 2.2     |   ?.?     ?.?     ?.?     ?.?     ?.?
> Apache                 2.0     |   ?.?     ?.?     ?.?     ?.?     ?.?
> MySQL                  3.23.58 |   ?.?     ?.?     ?.?     ?.?     ?.?
> PostgreSQL             7.3.4   |   ?.?     ?.?     ?.?     ?.?     ?.?
>

> What does this mean? NO MORE Red Hat Package Management (RPM) utility???
>
> Does that mean Red Hat is getting out of this feature and support?
>
> Does it mean that the various Applications now have to prepare their own
> RPM's for RED HAT (also FEDORA) OS's?
>
> And for which version of Red Hat will they prepare and create? for the
> top end? (or RHEL-WS? or RHEL-ES? or RHEL-AS? or RH Prof WS?) or does
> Red Hat have the proper file structure as in other Distributions? Is
> there a common feature for all to follow?
>
> How should I cope with this - or does Red Hat care about us?
>
> Red Hat promoted Linux and helped the users to get Red Hat up and
> running. We followed the American dream and adopted Red Hat and they
> [...]

Red Hat is doing an end-of-life on all Red Hat Linux "free" products
as of April, 2004.  Updates will continue for RH9 through August (IIRC).

They are only doing Red Hat Enterprise Linux after that and you have to
pay for it.  There are three versions:

	Red Hat Workstation Pro 3 (RHWP3)
	Red Hat Enterprise Server 3 (RHES3)
	Red Hat Advanced Server 3 (RHAS3)

RHWP3 is essentially the same as Red Hat Linux 9.x (or 10) would have
been.  What was going to be Red Hat Linux 10 is now called Fedora Core
1, and it's still free.  You can get it at http://fedora.redhat.com
or one of the many mirrors listed there.
-                   "The bogosity meter just pegged."                -