What RPMs are going to be supported with RHEL and RH Prof WS???

Chris A Czerwinski chrisczerwinski at cogeco.ca
Fri Feb 20 22:13:07 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-02-20 at 16:50, Rick Stevens wrote:
> Chris A Czerwinski wrote:
> > I see Red Hat's current "Under the Brim" is giving a sales pitch...
> >
> > Red Hat Professional Workstation: Enterprise Linux gets personal
> > Want to run an enterprise-quality operating system but don't actually
> > have an enterprise? Red Hat has the answer Red Hat Professional
> > Workstation. Based on Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Professional Workstation
> > provides a complete suite of tools for the power desktop user at an
> > affordable price. Best of all, it's annually renewable and comes with
> > one year of Red Hat Network updates and upgrades.
> >
> > Buy today and get a limited edition Red Hat cap.
> >
> > Is this still the old version of back then - Date unknown?
> > - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> >

> > Chris Cz (still learning that there are no answers or...)
>
> Red Hat is doing an end-of-life on all Red Hat Linux "free" products
> as of April, 2004.  Updates will continue for RH9 through August (IIRC).
>
> They are only doing Red Hat Enterprise Linux after that and you have to
> pay for it.  There are three versions:
>
>   Red Hat Workstation Pro 3   (RHWP3) is this the same as RHEL-WS?
>   Red Hat Enterprise Server 3 (RHES3)    ''       ''      RHEL-ES?
>   Red Hat Advanced Server 3   (RHAS3)    ''       ''      RHEL-AS?
>
> RHWP3 is essentially the same as Red Hat Linux 9.x (or 10) would have
> been.  What was going to be Red Hat Linux 10 is now called Fedora Core
> 1, and it's still free.  You can get it at http://fedora.redhat.com
> or one of the many mirrors listed there.

I'm getting mixed up with all this new and recent terminology?

and with which RHxx3 can I use MySQL or PostgreSQL?
as I am able to do with RHL9.

And where does Red Hat Prof WS fit in the scheme of things?
see above from "Under the Brim" and when does it's life cycle end?
is this the same as   Red Hat Workstation Pro 3 (RHWP3)???
(no version quoted by Red Hat -  see my problem.
 can't anything for granted these days from Red Hat!!!)

Chris Cz