OT:Apache question

Mark Knecht markknecht at comcast.net
Sat Feb 21 15:42:27 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-02-21 at 06:55, Chris Hewitt wrote:

> Mark,
>
> Looking at your original post, you have a single site. The virtualhost
> directives are not needed for this so if you don't want to get deep into
> Apache httpd administration you may like to avoid using them. They are
> all commented out by default.
>
> I don't have a commonapache2.conf file either. I've never heard of it so
> I would think it is a customisation someone has put in.
>
> Rick's single "Alias" line should be all you need.
>
> HTH
> Chris
Chris,
   Hi. With some of Rick's suggestions I sort of have it working, but
not totally. I can see things correctly (sort of) when sitting on the
machine running Apache, but if I go to another machine on the network
here in my house it only partially works. I am using Rick's suggestion
about the Alias. Here's the portion of apache2.conf that I modified:

<SNIP>
Alias /files "/mnt/data/webfiles"

    <Directory "/mnt/data/webfiles">
            Options Indexes FollowSymlinks MultiViews
            AllowOverride None
            Order allow,deny
            Allow from all
    </Directory>
<SNIP>

Here are the results:

>From the server:

1) Test- Access http://marksmusic.myvnc.com
Result - address bar says http://marksmusic.myvnc.com and the page
displays correctly.

2) Test- Access http://marksmusic.myvnc.com/files
Result - address bar changes to http://wizard.knechthome.com/files/ but
the directory listing displays correctly. I can go so subdirectories and
I can download files. It only works (I think) because I have
wizard.knechthome.com in my hosts file.

3) Test- Access http://marksmusic.myvnc.com
Result - address bar says http://marksmusic.myvnc.com and the page
displays correctly.

4) Test- Access http://marksmusic.myvnc.com/files
Result - Page fails to display and I get a message
"http://wizard.knechthome.com/files/ not found"

So, the results are consistently incorrect. Why does Apache insist on
remapping the name I as for ONLY when I append the directory name?

   I think Rick's suggestion about <Virtual *> would probably fix this,
and I'm looking around for where to best put that, but it seems to me
something is set up incorrectly elsewhere causing this remapping of the
name to a local name instead of the myvnc.com address that would work
for all machines coming to this machine.

   Thanks for your help.

- Mark