OT:Apache question

Mark Knecht markknecht at comcast.net
Sat Feb 21 17:11:48 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-02-21 at 08:43, Chris Hewitt wrote:
> Mark,
>
> I've done two tests on an Apache 2.0.47 on Fedora Core 1. I patched your
> Files and Directory lines into /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf, putting them
> right at the end. For the first test I used the directory
> /var/www/html/webfiles (as it was under the Document Root). For the
> second test I picked something outside Document Root (/home/webfiles).
> In both cases I could get a listing of files correctly from both the
> local computer and another one here at home over the network.

Yes, I've tried a couple of places to put the files and as long as the
apache configuration files are set up correctly then Mozilla on the
server will find and display them. It's the other computes that can't
because they start looking for a private name. (wizard.knechthome.com
instead of sticking with the publicly available name of
marksmusic.myvnc.com)

I hope this setup is clearly understood. I have a network in my studio.
Everything is behind a firewall. The Linux/Apache box uses no-ip to map
the IP of my firewall to the name marksmusic.myvnc.com. The firewall
forwards all port 80 traffic to 192.168.1.26, a machine named Wizard.
While sitting on Wizard all of this resolution works *because* Wizard
has an entry in its hosts file that defines wizard.knechthome.com as
192.168.1.26. However, other computers (even on my home network) don't
know this knechthome.com domain as I run no DNS internally.

> So I think this is a configuration issue, possibly with httpd but
> possibly DNS. If, from the remote computer, you call the page by ip
> address instead of markmusic.myvnc.com does it work?

I don't think *any* remote computer is going to understand
wizard.knechthome.com as it's not a publicly accessible entity. It's
just a server behind my firewall, but here goes:

http://192.168.1.26        works - displays the IP
http://192.168.1.26/files  works - displays knechthome.com/files
http://192.168.1.26/manual works - displays knechthome.com/manual

http://192.168.1.26/files  fails
http://192.168.1.26/manual fails

> If you do a "dig
> markmusic.myvnc.com" and "dig wizard.knechthome.com" what IP addresses
> does it come up with?

marksmusic displays my home IP address as mapped by no-ip.com's DNS
servers.

wizard.knechthome.com fails as there is no DNS entry for that anywhere.
It's just an internal, private machine here on my home network with
Apache installed.

> Also, if you do a "dig -x ipaddress" on both the
> ip addresses, does it come up with the hostname?
>
> I feel the dns issue is the first thing to address, it may be the
> problem but if not I feel it is masking the problem.
>
> If you have the httpd manual installed. It should be available at
> http://markmusic.myvnc.com/manual. If you can get to it from the
> computer running Apache httpd, then can you get to it from the other
> computer? If yes to the first and no to the second then I think it is a
> dns issue and not an error in your changes to httpd.conf.

The manual is installed, and I can get to it on the server, but I'm
getting there with the name change again:

http://wizard.knechthome.com/manual/

and of course this won't work from the other computers. It jsut comes
back saying wizard.knechthome.com not found.

- Mark