OT:Apache question

Greg Julius fromRedHatLists at outtacyte.com
Sat Feb 21 18:01:07 UTC 2004

At 09:42 AM 2/21/2004, you wrote:
>On Sat, 2004-02-21 at 06:55, Chris Hewitt wrote:
>
> > Mark,
> >
> > Looking at your original post, you have a single site. The virtualhost
> > directives are not needed for this so if you don't want to get deep into
> > Apache httpd administration you may like to avoid using them. They are
> > all commented out by default.
> >
> > I don't have a commonapache2.conf file either. I've never heard of it so
> > I would think it is a customisation someone has put in.
> >
> > Rick's single "Alias" line should be all you need.
> >
> > HTH
> > Chris
>Chris,
>    Hi. With some of Rick's suggestions I sort of have it working, but
>not totally. I can see things correctly (sort of) when sitting on the
>machine running Apache, but if I go to another machine on the network
>here in my house it only partially works. I am using Rick's suggestion
>about the Alias. Here's the portion of apache2.conf that I modified:
>
><SNIP>
>Alias /files "/mnt/data/webfiles"
>

>     <Directory "/mnt/data/webfiles">
>             Options Indexes FollowSymlinks MultiViews
>             AllowOverride None
>             Order allow,deny
>             Allow from all
>     </Directory>
><SNIP>
>
>Here are the results:
>
> >From the server:
>
>1) Test- Access http://marksmusic.myvnc.com
>Result - address bar says http://marksmusic.myvnc.com and the page
>displays correctly.
>
>2) Test- Access http://marksmusic.myvnc.com/files
>Result - address bar changes to http://wizard.knechthome.com/files/ but
>the directory listing displays correctly. I can go so subdirectories and
>I can download files. It only works (I think) because I have
>wizard.knechthome.com in my hosts file.
>
> >From another machine here at home:
>
>3) Test- Access http://marksmusic.myvnc.com
>Result - address bar says http://marksmusic.myvnc.com and the page
>displays correctly.
>
>4) Test- Access http://marksmusic.myvnc.com/files
>Result - Page fails to display and I get a message
>"http://wizard.knechthome.com/files/ not found"
>
>So, the results are consistently incorrect. Why does Apache insist on
>remapping the name I as for ONLY when I append the directory name?
>
>    I think Rick's suggestion about <Virtual *> would probably fix this,
>and I'm looking around for where to best put that, but it seems to me
>something is set up incorrectly elsewhere causing this remapping of the
>name to a local name instead of the myvnc.com address that would work
>for all machines coming to this machine.
>
>    Thanks for your help.
>
>- Mark

I'm replying on this note because the last one clipped out the above parts.

Mark,

If you were just trying to get it to work from all of your home machines,
just put your definition in the hosts file on all of your home machines.

But, you want it accessible from the internet at large, so that's not the
solution.

I've got this funny feeling that the re-direction is being caused by
no-ip.com's redirection of your marksmusic.myvnc.com name.  How is it set
up to re-direct?  I gather you are using this service because you don't
have a fixed IP, but one that changes.  Something supplied by your ISP I
would guess.  I've not had to play around with that because my IP is fixed
so I'm guessing a bit, hoping that it will spark some ideas in those that
are more knowledgeable.

How does no-ip.com get your updated IP?  When you start up/connect, do you
have something that runs to inform no-ip.com of your possibly changed
IP?  What IP would that be?  When I ping marksmusic.myvnc.com I get
67.169.98.227 which appears to be an IP of the comcast.net network.

When I visit 67.169.98.227 I get a page titled Marks Music.  When I visit
67.169.98.227/files, I get a redirect to marksmusic.myvnc.com/files and I
see a directory list of things, one of which is glass1.wav.

I just got another email from you, so yes, it's working.  I just clicked on
the link you specified and there they were again.

I still think the solution has (had?) something to do with notifying
no-ip.com of the IP and some re-direction issue.

Anyway, you've got it working and that's what counts.
-g