OT:Apache question 2

Chris Hewitt g0pae at manordat.demon.co.uk
Sat Feb 21 19:20:34 UTC 2004

Info wrote:

>Please forgive the intrusion on this thread. But I've got a somewhat related question.

OK by me.

>I have my web page on the internet on my RedHat8 server(apache).  Also on my little network I have a
>Win2K server running an application which currently only runs on M$ platforms.  (I'd prefer to have the user
>go through the Apache server to get to the M$ app ... www.mydomain.com/app   (or http://win2k/app from inside).
>
>While this works like a champ from inside my lan, it doesn't work worth a hoot from outside.  (I end up exposing IIS to the world and I'm just too busy to keep up with the security patches etc. to keep social diseases out.)
>
>Should I add the Win2K virtual directorys to Apache in a manner similar to your suggestion.
>  /Win2K/App
> 	<Directory //Win2k/App ......
>  /Win2K/App/SubDirectory
>	<Directory //Win2K/App/Subdirectory ...
>???
>
>Or am I wandering down the wrong fork in the road and need to try something else.

What Mark wanted to do was to list files in a directory. You can do a
similar thing but it will only show files e.g. foo.asp etc. In saying
that it is an app that you have on the win2k computer, I assume you mean
a web application that requires IIS to run it. If so then what you need
is for Apache on the linux computer to recognise something in the url
that says forward this http request onto the win2k IIS server and send
back the response via Apache on the linux computer to the originating
browser.

Yes, Apache httpd can do that. Its mod_rewrite. I've not used this but I
think I'll have a quick play with it (its Saturday night and the family
will be expecting me downstairs soon). Look in the httpd manual too and
we'll see  how we each get on.

I'm assuming your internet connection is via the linux box and your
internal network is from the linux box (i.e. the win2k box cannot
directly see the internet)?

More later.
Regards
Chris