R:Re: vncserver startup at boot

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Feb 24 20:13:30 UTC 2004

Stewart Walker wrote:

>> >  if I run vncserver as root.. viewer works fine. If I run it as a service
>> >  viewer responds with failed to connect to server.
>> >  I think its due to not finding the files vncserver creates in the
>> >  /root/.vnc directory.
>> >
>> >  How do I fix this?

>>  Its selected in the Service configuration or [@>]service vncserver start.
>>  which displays OK but no client connection are possible.

> vncserver started during boot - ps aux |grep vnc or Xvnc .. no results.
>
> Same goes for ... service vncserver start ...
> and the client can not connect.
> then
> logged in as root at the root home prompt .. just typing vncserver
> starts the vncserver AND the client is able to connect.
>
> ps aux |grep vnc results are ..
> 2531 /ts/1    S    0:00  Xvnc :1 -desktop X -http /usr/share/vnc/classes
> -aut
>
> see below for /etc/sysconfig/vncservers

>>  if I do [@>]vncserver as root its does it thing and clients can connect.
>>
>>  What file are the below mentioned options set in?
>>  Took a look at /etc/rc.d/init.d/xinetd and didn't find any thing for Xvnc.
>>  nothing in /etc/rc.d/init.d/vncserver.
>>
>>  Where does the displaynumber stuff get set as ":0" is the console.

> VNCSERVERS="1:username" is commented out in the vncservers file.
> Guess thats the problem..
> header says not to use this if connected to the internet so guess I'd
> better check out doing ssh.

Yes, do that.  If you're on the internet, do NOT use vnc over an
insecure connection.  Use the "vncviewer -via sshserver hostname:1"
syntax.

If you still are unsure about how to get this to work using the standard
Red Hat startup scripts, add a "vncserver >/dev/null 2>&1" to the end of
the "/etc/rc.d/rc.local" script.

> How do I tell what user vncserver is running as when the service is started
> at boot time.

A "ps -ef | grep Xvnc" should result in something like:

     root     26518     1  0 11:40 pts/10   00:00:00 Xvnc :1 (truncated)

indicating you have an Xvnc process watching for connections to desktop
display ":1" and it's running as the "root" user (first column).

-  Tempt not the dragons of fate, since thou art crunchy and taste   -
-                         good with ketchup.                         -