AS3.0 - bcm5700 vs tg3 drivers

Waldher, Travis R Travis.R.Waldher at boeing.com
Tue Feb 24 20:44:22 UTC 2004

I downloaded the latest version I could find:

bcm5700-7.1.22-1

> The Broadcom drivers are available on their website.
>
> > Is the tg3 driver better in AS3.0?  I know in the Redhat 8.0 days,
> > from which AS 3.0 was based, the bcm5700 was the preferred
> driver due
> > to less bugs, better reliability, etc.
>
> I don't know how good the tg3 is on AS3, but I don't think
> Red Hat will support you if you don't use it.
>
> If you must have the newer bcm drivers and can't find them on
> Broadcom's site, I can post them on ftp://ftp.rhil.net if you wish.

When I try to load the driver, I get this error message.

Using /lib/modules/2.4.21-4.ELsmp/kernel/drivers/net/bcm5700.o
/lib/modules/2.4.21-4.ELsmp/kernel/drivers/net/bcm5700.o: couldn't find
the kernel version the module was compiled for

Last time I got that error, it was an issue with the driver not liking
the kernel name.  Even something as simple as the smp on the end would
mess it up.  That was using Compaq's drivers.   This latest driver was
from broadcom itself and still did the same thing.

Any ideas?