Problems upgrading mkinitrd, oprofile

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Feb 25 17:34:07 UTC 2004

VB wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm trying to update to mkinitrd 3.5.15.1-2 and
> oprofile 0.5.4-3 but get the following:
>
> file /usr/share/man/man8/lvchange.8.gz from install of
> lvm2-2.00.08-2
> conflicts with file from package lvm-1.0.3-12
> (... same type of message repeated with a lot of other
> conflicts ...)
>
> **this is when I try to install the lvm2 rpm (which
> mkinitrd complains as needing) **
>
> error: Failed dependencies:
>         libdb-4.1.so is needed by oprofile-0.5.4-3
>
> ** this is when I try to install the oprofile rpm **
>
> Could somebody please point me in the right direction?

It would have been nice if you had told use what version of OS you're
running.  It appears that you're running FC1, since the latest libdb4
for RH 9 is 4.0.

You need to update or install the db4 devel RPMs to satisfy oprofile:

	"yum update db4-devel" OR "yum install db4-devel"  (via yum)
	"rpm -Uvh db4-devel*.rpm" (after downloading)      (via RPM)

If upgrading/installing oprofile via "rpm", you need to add the
"--force" option to the command.  Yumshould sort that out for you
automagically.
-  Time: Nature's way of keeping everything from happening at once.  -