USR external faxmodem on RH9 ???

Bassam ALHUSSEIN bhussein at scs-net.org
Thu Feb 26 20:50:14 UTC 2004

Hello ...
I had a bad souvenir with Rockwell winmodems on redhat 7.2 , and all the
world told me : Get an extyernal modem and it will be fun with RH.

Recently I purchased a new computer, and ofcourse with an External
faxmodem which is : U.S.Robotics USB faxmodem ( USR815633 ).
Installing RH9 went well, But probing didn't see the modem.
After consulting our friend Google I knew that hundreds have the same
problem with this "called" modem.
Contacting U.S.Robotics  ??? Useless ....They told me literally :
" Thank you for contacting U.S. Robotics. Your satisfaction is of the
utmost importance to us ....bla bla bla ...   USR does not have any
Linux drivers for this modem.  You may find drivers on a Linux forum on
the Internet.  "  What a shame !!!!!!!!

This modem is apparently not compatible!!! With linux ? because of it's
USB connection to the computer. I browsed the  linux-usb.org site and
found nothing usefull.

I am just looking for a hope that it could work someday with some trick
!!!!
I can't sent it back to the shop I purchased it from " this is not
possible where I live ...".

Does AnyBody have an idea ????

Thanx alot