USR external faxmodem on RH9 ???

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Feb 26 21:02:57 UTC 2004

Bassam ALHUSSEIN wrote:
> Hello ...
> I had a bad souvenir with Rockwell winmodems on redhat 7.2 , and all the
> world told me : Get an extyernal modem and it will be fun with RH.
>
> Recently I purchased a new computer, and ofcourse with an External
> faxmodem which is : U.S.Robotics USB faxmodem ( USR815633 ).
> Installing RH9 went well, But probing didn't see the modem.
> After consulting our friend Google I knew that hundreds have the same
> problem with this "called" modem.
> Contacting U.S.Robotics  ??? Useless ....They told me literally :
> " Thank you for contacting U.S. Robotics. Your satisfaction is of the
> utmost importance to us ....bla bla bla ...   USR does not have any
> Linux drivers for this modem.  You may find drivers on a Linux forum on
> the Internet.  "  What a shame !!!!!!!!
>
> This modem is apparently not compatible!!! With linux ? because of it's
> USB connection to the computer. I browsed the  linux-usb.org site and
> found nothing usefull.
>
> I am just looking for a hope that it could work someday with some trick
> !!!!
> I can't sent it back to the shop I purchased it from " this is not
> possible where I live ...".
>
> Does AnyBody have an idea ????

That is YADWM (yet another damned WinModem), and no, there probably
aren't any Linux drivers for it.  Your best bet is to get an external
SERIAL modem.  You know, the kind that plugs into a serial port (COM1,
COM2) on your system.  In the U.S., they can be had for $20.

BTW, "COM1" is called "/dev/ttyS0" and "COM2" is called "/dev/ttyS1"
on Linux.
-              Never eat anything larger than your head              -