tar

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 10 22:57:17 UTC 2004

On Sat, Jul 10, 2004 at 02:35:53PM +0200, J.L. Coenders wrote:
> Probably an easy question for you, but I am fiddling with it for hours and
> can't seem to find out how to make a multi-volume tar file, which is
> preferably also zipped. I think I am approaching it in the wrong way.
>
> with the command below I can make a multi-volume file, however it overwrites
> the last volume with the next, and it isn't gzipped:
>
> tar -ML 650000 -cvf backup.tar *
>
> Any ideas how to solve this?
>
> Thanks,
> - Jeroen

As another noted, use the -z option to get gzipping.  "man tar" for
more info.

As for the "-ML 650000", I think that works only on tapes, where you
change the media.  So if you told it to write to /dev/sometape
(instead of backup.tar), it still expects to write the next volume to
/dev/sometape, so, in the same way, it (reasonably) continues writing
to backup.tar.

I think you need another solution to your multi-volume file approach.

Cheers,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
Plenty of people give the Lord credit.  Few give Him cash.