NIS problems

Benjamin Hornberger bho at gmx.net
Thu Jul 15 21:00:12 UTC 2004

Hi all,

I am having problems getting a NIS system to work on RHEL AS3 (both client
and server). I set up the server and the client, the client finds the
server (ypwhich -m gives all the maps, ypcat passwd shows the correct
password entries), and on the client I can finger users which exist only on
the NIS server. But such a user can't log in.

I would guess it has to do with the password shadowing, so that the client
would find the user but the user's password on the server is not accepted
by the client. Any hints?

Thanks for your help!

Benjamin