Support for Large Disks under RedHat Enterprise 2.1

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Jul 16 21:01:47 UTC 2004

dsandif wrote:
> Hi Ed,
>
> I was wondering if you ever got a response to your query. I too am
> setting up a  machine (File server to be exact) and I will have three
> 300 gig hard drives in it that I am hoping RedHat Advance Server (AS)
> will support them and see all three completely. Please let me know what
> you find out. Thxs,
>
> D-
>
> Ed Mangual wrote:
>
>>  Does any body know if there is support for Hardrives over 137GB under
>> RedHat Enterprise 2.1? I have a 200GB drive and when trying to install
>> this version of redhat it only sees 131GB. Under RedHat Enterprise
>> Linux 3.0 it found the drive no problem.I would appreciate the
>> help.Thanks,Ed

I don't believe there is support for drives over 128GB (in powers of 2
format, 131GB decimal) in AS 2.1 due to kernel limitations.  ES3/AS3
should handle them, as RH tweaked the kernel.

The difference between ES and AS is that AS is limited to 2 processors
in SMP configuration (I think it's 2), while ES is limited to 8.

BTW, I think you can rebuild the AS kernel to give you the 8 processors
if you want to, but that might violate your support agreement.
-     Better to understand a little than to misunderstand a lot.     -