VPN

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Jul 1 00:54:27 UTC 2004

brad.mugleston at comcast.net wrote:
> My son just purchased a new PC - it's running windows XP home (or
> something like that) he wants to be able to connect to his
> machine here at home and my machine (running Red Hat 9).  At
> school his apartment has a wireless linksys connection to the
> internet and here at home we have a wired linksys.
>
> I'm thinking he will need VPN and something to let him view the
> remote screen.
>
> I would also like it to go the other way so I can help him with
> computer problems - I don't know much but do better than he does
> some times.
>
> Suggestions on what software we should get?

Aw, c'mon Brad!  Mentioning XP on the RHIL?  Shame on you!

Oh, well.  You say he has XP.  What is he trying to connect to at your
place?

If you're running Windows of some sort, he can use remote desktop
(Windows Terminal Services) from his box to yours.  You'll need to set
up port forwarding on your router to forward incoming TCP port 102 to
your machine.  Also note that this is not encrypted.

Another option is for both of you to install TightVNC on both machines.
This can be encrypted via SSH.  You run the VNC server and the ssh
daemon at your end, he runs the VNC client with the "-via" option
specifying your machine:

	vncviewer -via your-ip your-ip:1

Again, you'll need to set up port forwarding, this time TCP port 22 to
your machine.

If you're using Linux, you probably already have the VNC server and
ssh server on your machine.  Start up sshd (service sshd start) and
then run "vncserver" on your machine.  Your son would run the same thing
I mentioned above to access your machine.
-                   "The bogosity meter just pegged."                -