Evolution problem

Graeme Nichols gnichols at tpg.com.au
Thu Jul 1 05:48:29 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-01 at 08:56, karlp at ourldsfamily.com wrote:
> > Hello Folks,
> >
> > However, I noticed a curious thing, if I ssh into my desktop machine
> > from my laptop to run evolution (so as to keep things in one place on
> > one machine) and I do a search on my inbox the resulting matches
> > highlight the word searched on in the emails. If I then go to my desktop
> > machine and do the same the search word is again highlighted but if I
> > exit Evolution and re-start it and do the search again the search word
> > is completely missing, no blank space in place of it just a single space
> > character. This missing highlight is the problem I've had all along and
> > I simply thought it was a bug in the Evolution version I have.
> >
> > The question is: Why does it work when I ssh in from my laptop and why
> > does it still work when I go back to my desktop machine but NOT after
> > killing Evolution and re-starting it on the desktop. Anyone have an
> > answer? Both machines are running RH8 but the version of Evolution
> > installed on the laptop is the original version from the distribution
> > CDs, it hasn't had the security fix applied. But that shouldn't make a
> > difference as when I ssh into my desktop machine to run Evolution on the
> > laptop I am running the Evolution installed on the desktop, Aren't I?
>
> I would suspect it's a font issue. You may have chosen a font that doesn't
> have a valid reverse/bold/whatever attribute. I've had this type of
> problem and fixed it by changing the font I use. I apologize for not
> knowing the actual font I selected, or even where I changed, it, but I
> noticed the problem went away when I used VNC to run Evolution. In order
> for VNC not to conflict with my desktop, or mess it up, I run VNC using
> KDE and locally run Gnome. Try that to verify which does what, if you feel
> up to it.
>
> Karl

Hello Karl, thanks for the information. You could very well be correct.
One thing I have noticed is the flaky setting of the character encoding
in Evolution 1.0.8-11. No matter what you set it at it will be different
when you next check. Will try changing the font. I believe Evolution
uses the default setting in the Preferences menu.

--

Kind regards,

Graeme Nichols

Public Key available from http://keyserver.kjsl.com:11371/#extract

Edwin Meese made me wear CORDOVANS!!

- IMPORTANT.                                                         -
- The contents of this email and any attachments, which may be con-  -
- fidential, are sent for the personal attention of the addressee/s  -
- only. If you receive this email and are not the intended addressee -
- please inform the sender and delete this email immediately. Use,   -
- copying, disclosure or forwarding of the contents of this email    -
- and/or any attachment/s is not authourised.                        -