Fedora upgrade

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Jul 6 17:38:08 UTC 2004

jonathan.share at syngenta.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone have experience upgrading FC1 to FC2 on laptop?

The upgrade works, but there are some teething problems with X.  The
most important thing I can recommend is after you do the upgrade,
first boot to text mode and go into /etc/X11 and rename ANY
"XF86Config*" file you find to start with "X-", e.g:

	XF86Config --> becomes --> X-XF86Config

The new Xorg X system will read any XF86Config files it finds as well as
its own xorg.conf file and sometimes they fight.  Once you've done that,
either reboot or "telinit 5" to get into X mode.

> I'm not really in a position to recover if anything goes wrong but I really
> could do with gimp 2 and currently experiencing dependency hell trying to
> get it upgraded using RPMs
>
> Note: The laptop is not connected to any network therefore ruling out apt or
> yum solutions...

Whatever you do, BACK UP THE SYSTEM!  Beg, borrow or steal some sort of
backup medium and back it up.  I can't stress this enough.

> On another related note any idea why the gimp package (from the gimp
> website) is complaining of a missing libcms.so.1 even though I have upgraded
> using the lcms-1.10-0.9.0.i686.rpm which provides the missing file?

Try rerunning "ldconfig -v" and see if it picks up the file.  Then try
reinstalling and/or rerunning.
-     There are only 10 kinds of people in the world -- those who    -
-                 understand binary and those who don't              -