SMP machine

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Jul 8 16:13:28 UTC 2004

rhn.apacse at fedex.com wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Could anyone advise how we are ensured the multiple CPUs
> in the SMP machine are used by the system? I'm running
> RHEL 3AS on a Compaq ProLiant ML370 (dual 3.2GHz CPUs
> with Hyper-Threading). The dmesg only shows the CPU#0 is
> "Intel machine check reporting enabled". How do I know
> the another CPU is used? The system monitor only shows
> CPU in total, the top command also shows the total only.
>
> If the second CPU is not enabled or in use, how would I
> do to make it working?

First, verify you're running an SMP kernel:

	uname -a

If you see "SMP" in the data output, you're running an SMP kernel.
To verify if your CPUs are seen:

	cat /proc/cpuinfo

If it shows more than one CPU, then your CPUs are alive.  Finally, a
simple "top" should show you a CPU line for each CPU the system is
using starting at the 3rd or 5th line at the top of the display,
depending on the version of top you have.  Press "q" to exit top.
-                He who laughs last thinks slowest.                  -