Problem starting up Linux9 (multiboot with WinXP using PartitionMagic8)

sleepless1104 sleepless1104 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 8 23:25:12 UTC 2004

Hi!  I'm trying to multiboot WinXP and Redhat Linux9 into my Toshiba laptop that has 40GB of HDD.  I only have a single HDD so I partitioned it using PartitionMagic8 (PM) and using BootMagic (BM) included in PM as my bootloader.

My WinXP installion/recovery CDs are a ghost copy and it is NTFS by default.  I have WinXP installed first and then PM.  To install BM, I created 100MB FAT on my existing C: drive and called this drive E: (D: is my DVD/CD-ROM).  I was able to successfully install BM and run it upon starting my machine (makes me select between WinXP and MS-DOS before booting).  I further partitioned my C: drive to have a data drive F: which has 32 GB of HD space.

The next thing that I did is to create 3 partitions on F: (for "/boot","/", and swap).  I had to to this first otherwise Disk Druid will use up all my remaining space.  I used PM for this (normal partitioning and not through "install a new OS") and they are all FAT32 (will just format it through Linux installation).

When creating "/boot" partition, I receive a message that it will be not bootable by DOS or
WinNT but I created it within the 1024 cylinder.  My "/" and swap spaces are and the end part of my disk -- F: drive between them and "/boot."  My "/boot" partition is about 200MB, root is 8GB, and swap space 1024MB.

Upon installation of Linux, I made a mistake of not creating a BootLoader then afterwards not making a boot diskette (the later is quite impossible as I have no disk drive).  Also before getting to the Disk Druid Screen I received the message that goes something like  "It cannot align the partition because another application make a partitioning not recorded in the Partition Table, etc.."  However, it says that it is fixable so I ignored this message continued the installation process.  I have selected Manual Partitioning so that I can select the partitions where to install which, formatted them all using ext2.  And yes,
unfortunately I did not install a boot loader.  Afterwards, I just selected to install everything and accepted all the default values (except for security -- selected medium but I allowed all incoming messages -- anyway, I will not be connected to a network YET but will be... I just wanted to try the installing and then customize it later).

Installation went successful.  It completed and asked me to reboot. I did reboot but using WinXP.  I needed to add Linux in BootMagic.  I added it and booted my system using Linux.  Unfortunately, it just displays "Preparing to Load Linux..." but it does not boot at all.

I thought it was because of the bootloader so I placed my Linux CD again and tried to "upgrade".  I now selected the "Intall BootLoader"  and selected LILO.  Afterwards, I chose it to be installed in the Linux Partition (in "\boot") and not in the MBR (according to BM Manual).  I did not select any packages to be updated though.  It did installed the bootloader (I think... because I saw status messages that it is loading, etc) but I got an error message regarding the kernel (can't remember exactly).  I tried to reboot using Linux but it still won't work (not booting).

If anyone could help me, please advice on me what to do.

I am planning to doing a fresh install of Linux (just override the new one but now with the BootLoader) but using the same procedure:  partition my HDD through PM and not add a new OS option, install Linux, add Linux in BM.

Thanks!