NIS tcsh question

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Jul 15 20:01:35 UTC 2004

GoijI P wrote:
> inlcuded these two lines in NIS server ~/.tcshrc file:
> echo -n "\033]0;${HOST}:$cwd\007"
> alias cd 'chdir \!*; echo -n "\033]0;${HOST}:$cwd\007"'
>
> when logging in from NIS client, I do not see two
> lines doing anything.
> but, within a telnet session they work fine.

The NIS client must mount the NFS server's version of your home
directory for that to work.  I suspect you're only using the NIS server
for authentication and using the NIS client's local filesystem.  Since
the client's version of your home directory doesn't have those lines,
it won't work.

Log in under NIS and look at your ~/.tschrc file, then telnet to the
server and look at the same file.  I'll bet they're different.
-  Jimmie crack corn and I don't care...what kind of lousy attitude  -
-                 is THAT to have, huh?   -- Dennis Miller           -