RH8 --> FC2 Upgrade done

Graeme Nichols gnichols at tpg.com.au
Fri Jul 16 02:07:59 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-16 at 04:03, Rick Stevens wrote:
> [...]
> # control keys, use:
> #       Option  "XkbOptions"    "ctrl:swapcaps"
> # Or if you just want both to be control, use:
> #       Option  "XkbOptions"    "ctrl:nocaps"
> #
>          Identifier  "Keyboard0"
>          Driver      "keyboard"
>          Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
>          Option      "XkbLayout" "us"
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>          Identifier  "Mouse0"
>          Driver      "mouse"
>          Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
>          Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
>          Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
>          Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Monitor"
>          Identifier   "Monitor0"
>          VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
>          ModelName    "KDS Visual Sensations VS-7"
>          HorizSync    30.0 - 70.0
>          VertRefresh  50.0 - 120.0
>          Option      "dpms"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
>          Identifier  "Videocard0"
>          Driver      "trident"
>          VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
>          BoardName   "Trident 3DImage975 (generic)"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
>          Identifier "Screen0"
>          Device     "Videocard0"
>          Monitor    "Monitor0"
>          DefaultDepth     24
>          SubSection "Display"
>                  Viewport   0 0
>                  Depth     24
>                  Modes    "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
>          EndSubSection
> EndSection
>
> Section "DRI"
>          Group        0
>          Mode         0666
> EndSection
> ------------------------------ CUT HERE -------------------------------
>
> > Another problem that has arisen is with Pine. It won't start complaining
> > of not being able to load shared files. Any clues on this one?
>
> Sure.  FC2 uses gcc 3.3, not gcc 3.2.2.  The library format is a bit
> different.  Upgrade Pine.
>
> > All the above problems are connected to an 'upgrade' I guess, but there
> > seems to me to be some underlying serious problem that I can't put my
> > finger on. Not being able to save any of the config files is a worry I
> > would like to get to the bottom of.
> >
> > I can boot the system OK. I can use an editor, open Evolution etc. but I
> > am not yet sure that FC2 has anything to offer that RH8 hadn't, except
> > that it isn't obsolete. A lot of the productivity short-cuts that were
> > available in RH8 & Gnome appear to have been removed. Still, let's get
> > the above problems fixed and working properly first before passing
> > judgment.
> >
> > If anyone can help I will be very grateful.
>
> FC2 is a quantum leap beyond RH8.0 (which was buggy as hell and IMHO
> should NEVER have been released--witness the number of patches for it).

There were an enormous number of patches for it I agree, but it was a
very 'comfortable' release to use and it had some nice touches that made
it easy to get things done. Its a bit like my old HiLux ute., It'll
probably rust away from around me before I get a new one its so good.

> You've changed from a 2.4 kernel to a 2.6 kernel (which is a HUGE jump),
> a new gcc 3.3 compiler, a switch from XFree86 to Xorg and a raft of
> other changes.  There are going to be both teething problems and
> learning issues for you.
>
> FC2 is really not ready for non-geeks, IMHO.  Many 3rd party drivers
> for various hardware bits aren't available for 2.6 kernels and the
> change to Xorg's X implementation isn't the smoothest (works well,
> though).  The logical jump for non-geeks was to FC1 (still a 2.4
> kernel), to get used to how the FC stuff is different from RHL.  Once
> you're comfortable with that and are willing to make the jump to a 2.6
> kernel, THEN you update to FC2 and expect to learn yet more with the
> major changes internal to it.
>
> You don't even want to know about FC3 (coming soon!)

Hello Rick,

I don't know what I would do without your expertise when I take the leap
into the unknown. Its people like yourself and the others on this list
that make the Linux community what it is. I hope that I can start to
make a contribution myself. I understand what you are saying about the
learning curve, though since yesterday I have managed to get things up
and running OK. Your advice on removing the irq and CUPS was important
to me and thanks for the xorg.conf file. The 4 CD set I purchased didn't
have any documentation with it. With my RH8 CDs I was able to install
all the docs which was a real help. I will have to see if I can download
some documentation rpms. Will let you know how it all goes over the next
couple of weeks.

Again, thanks very much.

Graeme.