RH8 --> FC2 Upgrade done

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Jul 20 16:57:08 UTC 2004

Graeme Nichols wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-07-20 at 03:17, Rick Stevens wrote:
>
>>Graeme Nichols wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>>>Hi again Rick, I have been running FC2 all day today and it is all
>>>pretty stable. I used your xorg.conf file as a template and set up my
>>>screen. 1024x768 is much better than 640x480.
>>
>>Yes, it is.  I run 1280x1024 on my 19" screens.  My laptop is 1400x1050.
>>

> I wouldn't mind those resolutions but I will have to make do with my
> existing screen which has 1024x768 max resolution.

1280x1024 on 19" monitors is fine.  It's a bit small on 17" monitors.

>>>                                     I changed to CUPS, no
>>>problem there, the printer is now running fine. The eth0/1 problem I
>>>fixed early as I said in a previous post. Everything is working just
>>>fine at the moment. The usb is still a bit flakey, sometimes it fails to
>>>recognise the Zip drive and other times it fails to recognise my 60G usb
>>>Ext. HD (my main Backup medium). Not too sure why yet.
>>
>>Have you looked at dmesg to see what it's detecting?
>

> Yep! but I don't have enough experience to fully understand what I am
> looking at. I sent a copy of the last bit of dmesg to the list today
> hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I saw your posting of the dmesg output and commented on it.  Check
that posting.

>>>                                                        The two CDROMS
>>>are now hdc and hdd instead of scsi? Not too sure why that is but they
>>>appear to work fine after changes to fstab to reflect their new
>>>/dev/(name).
>>
>>Kernel 2.6.x doesn't need ide-scsi anymore to force ATAPI devices to
>>emulate SCSI, so the "hdc=ide-scsi" in your boot commands is not needed
>>and the devices are handled as IDE now.  The IDE middle layer is smart
>>enough to do what ide-scsi used to.
>

> Do I need to change any boot scripts?

Well, you can dig into your grub config and remove the "hdx=ide-scsi"
stuff.  You don't need it under 2.6 kernels.

>>>                                                                  The
>>>only package that wont run is gnucash, bombs out not being able to load
>>>libraries etc. I will have to re-compile it sometime soon.
>>>
>>>All in all, I'm very happy with FC2 and glad I took the leap.
>>
>>Hmmmm.  Gnucash works OK for me, but that's via the RPM--not a source
>>tarball install.
>

> Works for me now too. I used yum to install it. All went OK.

Okey doke.

>>>p.s. I haven't got my sig working in Evolution 1.4 yet, But will do.
>>
>>Heheheheh!  If you want to use my program, Download
>>
>>	http://www.rhil.net/tools/genmailsig.tar.gz
>>
>>As for a client, I use Mozilla or Firefox/Thunderbird.
>

> Thanks for the offer. Will do. But I think there is a bit more to sigs
> in Evo 1.4. There is no facility to point to a file anymore. Its not
> very high on my priority list at the moment. Maybe in the next couple of
> days when work allows.

I don't use Evo myself (I'm a Mozilla fan), so I can't speak to that.
I suspect there's a file that it wonks somewhere that you can overwrite.
-                 Dyslexics of the world: UNTIE!                     -