an error occurred when finding the packages to upgrade

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Jul 22 16:27:36 UTC 2004

Jones, Elton wrote:
> Thanks Rick but none of these things work I tried them both.
>
> I think it's a problem with the
> RPM package manager issue.

Under the old OS, have you rebuilt the RPM database?  That may fix it.
Go to /var/lib/rpm and delete the "__db*" files (two underscores).
Then, as root, run "rpm --rebuild-db".  That rebuilds your RPM database.

BTW, why are you upgrading to a defunct version of Linux?  RH8.0 and RH9
are past end of life.  Red Hat doesn't really offer a "free" linux
anymore.  They do support the Fedora project, so if you don't want to
pay for Linux, upgrade to Fedora Core 1 or Fedora Core 2.

-   UNIX is actually quite user friendly.  The problem is that it's  -
-              just very picky of who its friends are!               -