Can't install RH Enterprise 3 desktop; white screen lockup

Phil O lotsofunthatsme at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 28 20:08:30 UTC 2004

Well, this is about the fifth different time I've
tried to install Linux, and none ever went worth a
damn, including this one.  Here's the story; I'm
trying to evaluate the Red Hat Enterprise 3 desktop
for home evaluation.  I downloaded all 4 CD ISOs from
www.redhat.com, burnt them successfully, and checked
them with the data-checking CD program at the
beginning of my Red Hat install, and all checked out
OK.  So, as I perform the install (by simply hitting
"Enter" at the beginning of said install), I get the
following on my desktop:

Running Anaconda...please wait

It finds the Video Card Radeon 9600
the Monitor Syncmaster
& Mouse Generic Mouse

---then the screen eventually changes to white in
color with a mouse arrow in the center, but after
awhile, the  CD attempts access of the floppy drive,
which obviously has no disc, but the floppy drive
light stays on, which locks up the install.  My rig is
as follows:

ECS K7S5A mobo
512 MB ram
AMD 1800+ processor

For you Linux folks, I must say that until a Linux
install gets to be as "painless" as a Micro$oft OS
install,  converts will be few and far between.  I've
yet to have a successful install.