DHCP suddenly not working

Brenden T. brenden at rcsis.com
Wed Jun 9 18:34:43 UTC 2004

Hi all,

I've got an older Red Hat 7.2 system that I've been using for NAT and
firewall for over a year, connected to my upstream ISP.  Suddenly, I
can't DHCP from it anymore.  The tech when I called had me switch over
to windows on another system, and that works. So they blame my Linux
system, said it wasn't on their end even tho things are completely
unchanged, and that was that.

Querry: Does anyone have an idea what might be the problem?

I tried adding the -r option to dhcpcd from the command line which did
not help.  I took a trace w/ tcpdump and it showed very little
difference.  The Linux DHCP was simply ignored, no response at all.  I
blew away my dhcp cache so it couldn't ask for old ip addresses (windows
doesn't).  I switched network cards on the windows PC, it worked fine so
I know they are not memorizing MAC addresses.  (And my DSL modem never
did care about MAC address before anyway.)

The only difference I saw in outgoing packets was that Linux fills in
the seconds-since-start field and windows doesn't appear to.

I haven't tried upgrading Linux yet, and I can't rule out a compromised
system, but I don't think so.  Upgrading is not a problem, I only use
this system for nat, so there nothing on it to lose really, but I'd like
to actually discover the problem first rather than just reinstall stuff
at random.

Any help would be much appreciated.